How embarrassing it would be, when you are dressed up for an occasion and you find a cascade of white flakes fall, onto your black beautiful dress? And to top it, you are desperately tempted to scratch your itchy scalp. Dandruff is something that can make you low on confidence and self-esteem and can hurt your behavior in public. Home remedies for dandruff can be immensely effective in treating it.
Dandruff is a common problem that affects almost every other person at one point in time, irrespective of age and gender. Yet, it is a cause of concern and you might be struggling to find the remedy for dandruff, to get rid of it at the earliest.
- Aloe Vera
- Fenugreek Seeds (Methi)
- Lemon & Coconut Oil
- Mehandi / Henna
- Orange Peel
- Curd / Yogurt
- Tea Tree Oil
- Apple cider Vinegar
- Fuller’s Earth
- Egg Yolk & Olive Oil
- Baking Soda
Signs Or Symptoms Of Dandruff
Dandruff can be one such scalp issue that can eventually affect your hair health. The signs or symptoms that you might be suffering from dandruff are:
- The flakiness of the scalp
- Itchy scalp
- Oily or greasy patch on your scalp
- You may even experience hair loss due to dandruff
Reasons for Dandruff
Dandruff is a condition, for which the underlying cause can be:
- Fungal infection, caused by a fungus, Malassezia, which feeds on sebum. Sebum is an oily matter secreted by the sebaceous glands on your scalp
- The dead skin, due to the formation of new skin. The dryness and itchiness on the scalp lead to the dead skin cells that accumulate into visible flakes.
- If you are sensitive to hair products
- If you are brushing your hair excessively
- If you are stressed, or suffer from mental illness.
- If you are not taking a nutritious diet.
- If you are not maintaining proper scalp hygiene.
- If you are using hot water during the winter. Lukewarm water is ideal for a hair wash to avoid dryness of the scalp.
How To Control Dandruff
Now that you know what are the primary reasons for dandruff, let’s find out how to get rid of it without any medical treatment.
Many of you may resort to anti-dandruff shampoos and conditions that treat this problem. But, did you know that you can cure dandruff by easy to implement home remedies?
While there are plenty of products readily available that claim to fight dandruff, the chemicals in them might not be suitable for your hair. Home remedies for dandruff can be an effective solution for the same.
Ayurvedic Remedies For Dandruff
Here are the simple and quick home remedies to get rid of dandruff
Dandruff in Ayurveda is a complex problem, and there may be different causes for each case of dandruff. However, regardless of its complexity, dandruff has been grouped under the diseases which can be easily cured with the help of the ancient wisdom of Ayurveda.
Some tropical Ayurvedic herbs which can relieve you from dandruff and itching are:
Neem leaves and extract are being used in Ayurveda medication and cosmetics for ages. Due to its antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, neem is an effective cure for dandruff and other skin ailments.
How to use
- Crush some neem leaves until it turns into a smooth paste.
- Now apply this pack to your scalp and leave it for 20 mins.
- Once done, rinse well with water.
Another way of applying neem is to:
- Boil some neem leaves in water.
- Let it cool down to room temperature and then apply the solution to your scalp.
- Leave it for 20 min before rinsing it with water.
- It is always better to use neem in its diluted form as the concentrated version may irritate your skin further.
2. Aloe vera
Aloe Vera, the wonder succulent, is one of the most popular and effective additions to skin ointments, lotions, and cosmetics due to its soothing and medicinal properties.
The antibacterial and antifungal properties of Aloe Vera help in fighting dandruff reduce skin irritation, reduces flakiness, and gives a moisturizing effect to the scalp. It may also help control fungal infections that cause hair loss.
When applied to the skin, aloe vera can help you treat skin conditions like burns, psoriasis, and cold sores.
How to apply
- It is best to directly extract the Aloe Vera gel from the plant and apply it to your scalp.
- Leave it for an hour before washing your hair with a mild shampoo.
3. Fenugreek seeds (methi)
Fenugreek is a blessing when it comes to treating hair problems. Be it dandruff, dry scalp, baldness, or thinning of hair, fenugreek seed is a one-stop solution for all.
How to use
- Soak 3 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds overnight and grind them to a fine paste the morning.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to it.
- Apply the paste to your scalp and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Once done, wash your hair with a mild sulfate-free shampoo.
Repeat the treatment twice a week for 3 weeks and you will notice the difference!
Onion juice is known to encourage hair growth and reversing premature graying of hair. The rich sulfur content nourishes hair follicles and minimizes hair thinning.
For its antibacterial and antifungal nature, onion juice becomes an effective home remedy for dandruff and itchy scalp.
Onion hair mask for dandruff
To prepare the onion hair mask,
- Take a full-sized onion and blend it into a fine, consistent paste.
- Apply the paste to your scalp from roots to tips of your hair.
- Wait for an hour and then wash your hair with a mild sulfate-free shampoo.
5. Lemon and Coconut oil
Lemon is by far the easiest of all for treating dandruff. The acidic character of the lemon helps balance the pH level of your hair. Similarly, known for its multiple health benefits, coconut oil is often used as a natural home remedy for dandruff.
Besides, coconut oil may help improve skin hydration and prevent dryness of the scalp.
Research has found that coconut oil could aid in the treatment of a skin condition called eczema, which may contribute to dandruff.
Coconut Oil with Lemon hair mask
Coconut oil is said to keep your hair nourished, and when you use it with lemon juice, it can cure dandruff.
How to prepare
- Take 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and mix it with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Apply this mixture on your scalp by gently massaging it.
- Leave it for 20 minutes, rinse it off with a mild shampoo.
6. Mehandi / Henna
Henna has been widely used for its beneficial properties. Not only henna gives a natural color, but it also deep conditions your hair, giving luster to it.
To add more, Henna helps in controlling dandruff too.
You can try henna, lemon, and yogurt dandruff pack which will work well on your hair.
Henna, lemon & curd hair pack
Here is how you prepare the Mehndi pack for your hair.
- Mix 4 tablespoons of mehndi powder, lime juice, and some curd to turn it into a fine paste.
- Apply the pack on your scalp and leave it for at least an hour
- Rinse well with a mild shampoo.
- You may require applying conditioner too, as henna tends to cause dryness to your hair.
Use this simple home remedy to get rid of dandruff.
Garlic is a key remedy for dandruff, but its pungent smell may make it a No-No for some. Garlic is immensely beneficial as an anti-fungal natural product and its medicinal value is something which you should not overlook.
Garlic can eliminate the growth of certain microbes that are responsible for dandruff.
How to apply
- Take a few garlic cloves and blend it to form a smooth paste.
- To mitigate the pungent smell of garlic, you can add 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Mix well and apply on your scalp.
- Leave it for 15 – 20 minutes before washing your hair with a mild shampoo.
8. Orange peel
Orange peel, an admirable source of antioxidants, is one of the most effective home remedies for treating dandruff and hair fall. The high content of vitamin C also promotes hair growth.
The anti-inflammatory properties of the orange peel soothe the scalp and keep it free from any infection.
Preparation of Orange Peel
To get rid of dandruff, here is the procedure to prepare an orange peel mask.
- Take some orange peel and blend it with water to form a paste-like consistency.
- Apply this mask on your scalp and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Rinse well with a mild sulfate-free shampoo.
Repeat this procedure for at least thrice a week to get rid of dandruff.
Some more equally effective ways and tips for dandruff removal
Apart from curd being a wonderful probiotic food, and high in nutritional value, curd can do wonders in curing your dandruff.
Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, the curd is a natural anti-dandruff. It is a treasure of friendly bacteria and due to its anti-bacterial properties, it also prevents flaking of the scalp area and scalp infections.
Curd is one of the easily available home remedies, effective in treating dandruff.
Here are some simple tips for curing dandruff using curd.
How to apply
- Take some curd and apply it onto your hair and scalp.
- Leave it for an hour or so.
- Rinse it thoroughly with a mild shampoo.
Tip: You can also add black pepper to the curd, as it too has anti-fungal properties that can help in curbing dandruff.
10. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is effective in fighting a specific fungus which causes dandruff. Its powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties help in reducing itchiness, inflammation, and greasiness of the scalp.
It thus proves to be effective in decreasing your dandruff problem.
Studies have proved, that tea tree oil is an effective home remedy in treating dandruff and, lessens the severity of symptoms like itching and greasiness.
Not only dandruff, but tea tree oil is also used to treat skin-related ailments like acne and psoriasis.
How to apply
- Add around 8 to 10 drops of tea tree oil to your shampoo.
- Rinse well after shampooing your hair.
- A mild shampoo, preferably a sulfate and paraben-free shampoo, would be beneficial for maintaining your hair health.
11. Apple cider vinegar
The acidic content of the vinegar is highly beneficial in treating dandruff-causing bacteria and fungus. It helps in relieving the itchiness and dryness of your scalp.
How to apply
- A simple way to use vinegar as a remedy to dandruff is to apply a mix of an equal quantity of vinegar and water on your scalp.
- Leave it for half an hour.
- Rinse well with a mild shampoo.
You can also use it in a combination of other ingredients too.
Banana and apple cider vinegar hair pack
Banana and apple cider vinegar is one such effective option, which you can use as a home remedy for curing dandruff.
In addition to the germ-killing properties of apple cider vinegar, bananas are a rich source of vitamin B that helps in improving your blood circulation. This in turn keeps your scalp healthy and free from dandruff.
How to prepare
To prepare banana apple cider vinegar pack,
- Take 1 peeled banana and 1 cup of apple cider vinegar in a bowl.
- Mix it well till it becomes a paste.
- Gently massage this pack onto your scalp, and apply on your hair, covering it completely.
- Leave it for 20 – 30 minutes and then rinse your hair with shampoo and normal water.
Following these simple steps will help you will get rid of dandruff.
12. Fuller’s Earth (Multani mitti)
Thought fuller’s earth is only beneficial to the skin? Well, you might just be wrong, as fuller’s earth has proven to be effective for hair and scalp related problems as well.
Applying fuller’s earth will not only smoothen your hair but also eliminate dandruff from the roots. It also helps in improving blood circulation, keeping your hair healthy and dandruff free.
How to apply
To prepare a fuller’s earth (Multani mitti) hair pack,
- Take an adequate proportion of Fuller’s earth with water and blend it into a fine paste. Add a few drops of lemon to it and apply the mixture to your scalp.
- Leave it for 30 minutes, then rinse thoroughly with normal water.
13. Egg yolk and olive oil
Egg yolk can be an equally effective home remedy for dandruff.
Egg yolk contains fatty acids and vitamin A, which helps in keeping dandruff at bay. Egg yolks also condition your hair, making it smooth and lustrous.
Similarly, olive oil provides nourishment to your hair.
All you need to do is to apply olive oil and egg yolk mask to your scalp to get rid of dandruff.
How to prepare
- Mix 2 egg yolks and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a bowl until you get a smooth mixture.
- Apply the hair pack, starting from the roots and work your way down the tips of your hair.
- Leave it for an hour before rinsing it off with a sulfate-free shampoo.
You may be required to wash your hair twice to remove the unpleasant odor.
Follow this treatment 1-2 times a week.
14. Baking Soda
Readily available, baking soda is a quick and convenient remedy for dandruff. Baking soda acts as a scrub and gently exfoliates and soothes your scalp, removing the dead skin cells and itchiness.
Exfoliation is essential to ensure there is no build-up of flakes on the scalp that causes dandruff even more visible.
Its anti-fungal properties help in reducing dandruff and itching.
How to apply
Simply add some baking soda to your shampoo before rinsing it with water.
Make changes to your lifestyle
Besides, using these home remedies for treating dandruff, you also need to make some lifestyle changes to get the best result. This will bring long-lasting results and may also help you cure dandruff permanently.
Manage your stress.
While stress itself may not cause dandruff, it may suppress the activity of your immune system. It can reduce your body’s ability to fight off some fungal infections and skin conditions that contribute to dandruff.
To keep your stress levels under control, try some stress reduction techniques, like yoga, deep breathing, meditation, or aromatherapy.
Eat a nutritious diet.
A well-balanced diet consisting of all the nutrients – proteins, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, and minerals is vital for your health in general. A diet with sufficient zinc, B vitamins, and certain types of fats may help prevent dandruff.
Give your hair a frequent wash.
Dirt, pollution, humid weather, can turn your scalp into a breeding ground for microbial growth. Frequent hair washes with a mild sulfate-free shampoo will help in keeping dandruff at bay.
Avoid hair styling products.
Hairstyling products can build up on your scalp and hair, turning them oilier, making it prone to dandruff. Also remember, not to share your comb with others and use theirs.
Do not oil hair and keep it on for longer
Applying oil on your hair and keeping it for longer will only prepare a breeding ground for the fungal growth, which leads to dandruff.
Take omega 3 rich food in your diet.
Omega-3 fatty acids can reduce inflammation, which may help relieve scalp irritation, dry skin, and dandruff symptoms.
Fatty fish like salmon and mackerel are excellent sources of omega-3 fatty acids.
Eat Probiotic foods
Probiotics are live bacteria that are good for your health.
Probiotics may help enhance immune function, which could help the body fight against the fungal infections that cause dandruff. Yogurt, cottage cheese(paneer), buttermilk, idli, and kimchi are excellent sources of probiotic foods.
Make the best of nature’s goodness to combat your dandruff by using these effective home remedies. You can also pair them with over-the-counter products like anti-dandruff shampoos to maximize treatment effectiveness.
But, remember, to use herbal, and sulfate-free mild products to cure dandruff as harmful chemicals found in shampoos can also sometimes cause dandruff.
Krishna is a Management graduate in Human Resource. She is an avid reader, knowledge seeker, and an adoring mother of two lovely kids.